Top 10 Luxury French Ski Resorts
Private airports, 4 and 5-star hotels and residences, Michelin-starred restaurants, spas, luxury shops, high-end activities and exclusive entertainment… This is what lovers of luxury, excellence and fashionable spots are looking for when they go to winter resorts. Discover the ranking for luxury French ski resorts now in November 2021.
Courchevel, designated as the most high-end ski resort in the French Alps
Courchevel luxury resort impresses with the unique quality of its hotels: 2 palaces out of the 8 palace-rated in France, 11 five-star hotels and 8 four-star hotels. Courchevel proudly displays 7 Michelin-starred restaurants, a record for any ski resort in the world. Not to mention sumptuous and opulent mega chalets, luxury shops, staggering events and parties. Celebrities from five continents flock, attracted by Courchevel’s world-famous reputation. Other strong points of Courchevel and its high-end clientele:
– A local airport with daily connections to Paris
– Numerous gourmet restaurants: 11 Michelin stars in total
– Its luxury shops (Vuitton, …), art galleries
– Its sumptuous nightlife with exclusive parties
– The largest ski area in the world (Les 3 Vallées), with legendary slope maintenance
– The largest ski school in France. It is therefore the number one of the top-of-the-range ski resorts.
Other “luxury” French ski resorts
1. Megève: With two Relais et Châteaux hotels, Megève does not offer ostentatious luxury, but real refinement away from the nouveau riche feel of Courchevel. The resort offers seven 5-star establishments. Its real luxury is to offer a lively and elegant village life year-round. Megève is renowned for its high-level shops and an exceptional collection of Spas, including the emblematic “Fermes de Marie”. Megève is a very popular spot in Haute-Savoie and is located on the Evasion Mon Blanc ski domain which is vast. Next door is the Espace Diamant ski area with Les Saisies, etc.
Megève was created by members of the Rothschild family. It has welcomed for many years noble families who have shaped its reputation and great fame. The ski area offers 445 kilometres of slopes with a wide-open area in the shape of an amphitheatre with, at each summit, a unique view of the Mont Blanc peak. Alpine meadows, fir-tree forests, wide-open spaces alternate for authentic skiing in an exceptional environment.
2. Val d’Isère: Over the past twenty years, Val d’Isère has experienced spectacular qualitative progress. With 4 five-star hotels, 2 Michelin-starred restaurants, and a village centre full of character, both authentic and modern, Val d’Isère has established itself as one of the world’s top resorts. Beyond the hotel spas, the resort offers a beautiful water sports area. Always a strong favourite with.British skiers it always had a very cosmopolitan feel.
Val d’Isère is a luxury ski resort famous for partying and the nightlife (probably why Brits love it so much…). The choice is wide: between cafes, bars, lounges and clubs. Do not miss the unmissable electro concert at La Folie Douce: this is the meeting place for jet setters!
3. Chamonix: The Chamonix valley offers 5 five-star hotels, including the famous Relais et Châteaux “Hameau Albert 1er”. It cultivates great tradition (palaces of yesteryear brought up to date) and new trends (designer interiors). Offering the advantage of year-round living, Chamonix is renowned for its “Le Majestic” convention centre, a former 1900s palace. In its pedestrian street, you will find luxury boutiques such as Moncler and Chanel. For those who are not into shopping, many activities are available such as the Mer de Glace or the visit of the Mont-Blanc. In terms of real estate, you will find a variety of prices that vary according to the neighbourhood, the more central the higher the price.
4. Meribel – Les Allues: Launched by British Colonel Lord Lindsay, Méribel has attracted an international clientele since 1938 including of course Kate Middleton and members of the British Royal family. The heart of the 3 Valleys offers charming hotels (7 four-star establishments including the Grand Coeur and Helios), which will be reinforced next year by a first “5-star” and other new luxury development. All Meribel needs is a Michelin-starred table to join the elite like neighbour Courchevel.
5. Val Thorens: If the highest resort in Europe (2300m) is sporty, it satisfies a demanding clientele thanks to its architectural change, the rise of its après-ski (brilliant 2-star restaurant, the Oxalys, Spas, concerts…), the creation of luxury chalet residences (Montana *****) and the new Skipalace l’Altapura ****, very design.
6. La Clusaz: The site is enchanting, with its bucolic alpine pastures, its well-cut peaks and its chalet architecture. Recently, La Clusaz has taken a turn towards luxury, with its first ***** hotel “In the heart of the Village” as its symbol. This Relais & Châteaux seduces with its comfort, its lounges, its refined cuisine and its Spa, with “5 Worlds” protocols.
7. L’Alpe d’Huez: L’Alpe d’Huez has world fame, thanks to the 1968 Olympic Games and the legendary cycling climb of the Tour de France. Very popular with athletes and families alike, it does not really offer luxury establishments, but a very comfortable and charming hotel “Au Chamois d´Or”. And this winter a new 4-star “Alpenrose”.
8. Tignes: Sports resort resolutely focused on new trends and sports as well as the festive side, Tignes nevertheless offers a beautiful hotel industry. The Nevada Suites and Montana Suites, with very good comfort, testify to this among others. On the other hand, no Michelin-starred restaurants, and fewer high-end shops than in Val d’Isère but the resort is certainly going up in category with new luxury developments to be built.
9. Les 2 Alpes: Like Tignes, Les 2 Alpes, by their architecture, their atmosphere and their services, are not naturally oriented towards the “luxury” segment. 2 4-star hotels nonetheless, including the charming Chalet Mounier, in a preserved setting at the end of the resort. Its Spa, its comfortable rooms and its Michelin-starred restaurant are not lacking in assets.