Tignes The Ski Resort
Different, cosmopolitan, sporty and innovative, Tignes offers you the unique experience of living the mountain differently. For winter sports enthusiasts, Tignes is first and foremost an internationally renowned ski resort that offers the best snow and a wide range of pistes from September to May.
Tignes ski area boasts 39 lifts, 74 pistes, 150kms of pistes, 2 snow parks and when snow has fallen, access to one of the best ski areas in the world shared with Val d’Isère: the Espace Killy ski area.
Tignes – The ski resort
The ski area Tignes / Val d’Isère (formerly known as “Espace Killy”) consists of 300 km of slopes of varying difficulty that range between 1,550 m and 3,450 m altitude.
In addition to these tracks, push your spatulas a little further enjoy also 6 stages of slalom, 1 stage of moguls, 2 snowpark, 1 gliss’park.
In Tignes, skiing is also practiced in summer. On the Grande Motte Glacier, the blue, red and black slopes give you the unique joys of snow from June to August.
In summer, the snowpark also takes height and settles on the glacier, to the delight of freestyle enthusiasts!
Always on the lookout for new trends and new winter sports, the resort of Tignes offers a variety of original activities to enjoy on a life-size playground: ice diving, ice rink, ice circuit, ski-jöering, paragliding, climbing dog sledding, mountain biking on snow, snowmobiling, ice karting, heliskiing …
At the foot of the slopes, Tignes extends the pleasures with a wide range of restaurants, brasseries, bars and discotheques. Exotic setting, gastronomic discovery, cozy atmosphere or festive evenings, each with its selection of good relaxation.
Tignes welcomes all winter events original, where sports performance mingles with the taste of audacity like the Winter X Games Europe, the inevitable event of skiing and freestyle snowboarding!
Tignes ski area
► The alpine ski area
Tignes is neither more nor less than the French ski resort offering the longest opening period. From the end of September, Tignes opens the ball and offers skiing on more than 150 kilometers of slopes. Once enough snow, the connection with the neighboring station Val d’Isère is in turn open. It is then the 300 km of Espace Killy that are offered to you!
► Snowparks and play areas of Tignes
As for news gliding, Tignes is without doubt one of the best-equipped ski resorts: with its boardercross, its two snowparks, its half pipe and its gliss’ park, the Savoyard resort plays on all fronts!
– The half pipe: the best riders on the planet meet each year at the Winter X Games but outside this period (about fifteen days in March), it is open to all brave eager challenges and sensations …
– The glacier snowpark: Located at more than 3,400 meters above sea level and composed of 10 tables and a good dozen modules / rails, it is the meeting place for all freestylers of all levels.
– Located at the top of the Merles chairlift and equipped with 10 snow cannons, the Swatch Snowpark in Tignes offers you to perfect your tricks on the various lines constantly remodeled and reworked throughout the season. Note that a big airbag is also available for free.
– Accessible via the Col du Palet ski lift or the Grattalu chairlift, the boardercross is waiting for you. Sharp turns, woops, bumps and extreme curves follow one another along the 1400 meters of the course …
– The Gliss ‘Park: Directly traced on the track of Millonex (accessible via the ski lift of the same name or via the chairlift Palafour), Gliss’ Park is for freestylers in the making. Its mini boarder cross and its parallel slalom make it a fun area accessible to skiers and snowboarders of all levels.
► Tignes summer ski area
In the summer season (July and August), it is on the glacier of the Grande Motte that the amateurs of summer ski are found. On the 20 kilometers of open slopes, they join the ski-clubs as well as the national teams in preparation stage. On the 450 meters of elevation offered by the ski area of summer, they alternate between skiing of course, but also freestyle sesssion on the snowpark and tanning session on the terrace of the Panoramic …
► For beginners
Although not far from a vast ski area, Tignes does not forget the beginners who, before rushing to the peaks and the black runs, can make their first turns on free zones and specially arranged. There are 5 in total (one per “district”) from Lavachet to Val Claret via Lake and Brévières.
Fresh Tracks: Every Wednesday of the winter (from Christmas to Easter) you can go down the mythical track “Double M” which descends from the Grande Motte glacier in the heart of the resort before the opening of the slopes to the public …
You will take the funicular from 8.30am. On arrival on the Grande Motte glacier trackers will welcome you for a topo around a breakfast. Put on the skis and go for an exclusive descent on 900 m of unevenness!
The half-pipe: Want to taste the sensations felt by the greatest riders on the freestyle planet? It’s possible ! The halfpipe is open for part of the winter, outside the XXL formatting periods required for the X Games Tignes. It’s up to you to play Xavier Bertoni!
Heliski: In March, the spring snow makes it possible to apprehend more serenely the off-piste and its sensations beyond norms. As a result, the ski schools offer unpublished outings on the Italian slopes.
France side, go skiing for the Bonneval station … The climb reveals the immensity of a virgin domain promised to your pleasure.
After skiing, you return by helicopter and enjoy an Alpine flyover … This territory where you will have left your footprints. Emotions guaranteed!
Ice Diving: Beginner or advanced, navigate the breadcrumb trail through frozen lake waters and get professional advice, equipment and equipment … to safely dive under the ice .
Ice driving: In Tignes, you can demonstrate your audacity outside the ski slopes. If you have always dreamed of exploits on the ice, with a steering wheel in your hand, you have come to the right place. Forget driving in the city and discover the ice driving at 1,500 meters above sea level, like a real rally rider!
Mountain biking on snow: At the closing of the ski slopes, mountain bikes are in the starting blocks! Gondola ride, and descent on the deserted trails at sunset. Another way to taste the joys of sliding, version 2 wheels …
► Countless Tignes off-piste itineraries
Tignes offers a large number of off-piste itineraries among which we recommend in particular:
– the Telegraph (from the top of the Lanches chairlift to Val Claret),
– Corridors P1, P2, P3 (from the Grande-Motte glacier to the “double M” runway under the Lanches),
– the North Face of Pramecou (expert level!),
– the Chardonnay (from the top of the Grattalu chairlift to Val Claret),
– the Vallon de la Sache (from the top of the chairlift Aiguille pierced to the Brévières)
– not forgetting the Couloirs des Tufs (from the top of the aéroski to Tignes Le Lac)
► Major events of the winter season in Tignes
– The now famous Tignes Fire Mix Party of December 31
– Many stages of sports competitions such as the SFR Freeskiing Tour, the X Speed Tour
– The Winter X Games Tignes (in March)
– The European Snow Gay Pride, the most incredible European winter sports festival (usually end of March)
– Contests (Switch Rideur, Slopestyle …) throughout the season
– The Black Shoes, telemark rally and competitions (end of April)