Samoëns The Ski Resort
Only 1h from Geneva, the village / ski resort of Samoëns enjoys a prime location and an exceptional panorama, at the heart of the French Alps. Linked to the Grand Massif ski area, Samoens is linked to four other resorts: Flaine, Les Carroz, Morillon and Sixt Fer à Cheval. It is the ideal traditional Alpine village just perfect for anyone looking to enjoy the mountain in winter but also in summer and rest of the year.
Samoëns ski area boasts 67 lifts, 145 pistes, 265kms of pistes, 5 snow parks and access to Le Grand Massif ski area, one of the ski areas in europe with the best snow to ski on.
Samoens – The ski resort
Thus, from the village, you can access in no time and in record time (8 minutes only) the Grand Massif ski area, with the 8-seater gondola Grand Massif Express. At 1,600 meters high, a ski area of 265 kilometers of slopes awaits you (constituting one of the most beautiful and vast areas dedicated to skiing).
Famous for its stonemasons, the ski resort of Samoëns, is a village ski resort par excellence. Indeed, Samoëns offers both a high-level ski area and a village authentically preserved in the valley of Giffre.
Ideal resort for winter sports, Samoëns is also appreciated for the change of scenery offered by its warm and so special village. In this medieval village, Samoëns has preserved a rich heritage of historical and cultural treasures. At the turn of its cobbled streets, the village evokes its unique history of stonemasons’ homeland.
Samoens ski area
► The alpine ski area
The ski area of Samoëns has the distinction of being accessible via two different packages: either by acquiring the Grand Massif pass (which allows you to ski on the slopes of the five resorts Flaine, Morillon, Les Carroz, Six Fer à Cheval and Samoëns), or by “just” the package Massif that does not allow you to evolve on the slopes of Flaine.
The ski slopes of Samoëns are characterized by:
– Black runs reserved for experienced skiers in the upper sector (La Tête des Saix at 2118 meters altitude): Black Eagle, Chamois and Corbalanche trails …
-a mid-level area “general public” including beautiful tracks of different levels (blue slopes of Dahu and Verosse, red Marmotte tracks, Gouilles …),
-A completely refurbished area reserved for beginners at the arrival of the Grand Massif Express (gondola linking the village to the slopes): A dozen lifts (including a covered carpet) serve the various slopes and recreational areas specially designed for the day. learning to ski smoothly. Well apart from other areas of the ski area, it is therefore a family ski area par excellence.
► Snowpark and play areas of Samoëns
The Grand Massif has 3 snow parks (called JamPark) located on the sectors of Flaine (level confirmed), Samoëns (intermediate level) and Morillon (beginner level).
The Samoëns snowpark is located near the Soleil piste, it is prepared every day and consists of different modules (tables, rails, …) mainly suitable for intermediate level freestyle enthusiasts, whether adults or adults. children.
► Nordic ski area
For cross-country skiing, Samoëns offers its Nordic activity area in the Haut Giffre Valley. The latter is divided into two distinct domains:
-The one in the bottom of the valley starting at Samoëns and ending at the bottom of the Cirque du Fer à Cheval (46km of prepared trails).
-The other is located Col de Joux Plane 1600 meters above sea level and 13 km from Samoens (access by car or shuttle from Samoens.
– The less adventurous will appreciate the anthological track of Cascades. a 14 km long white slope, which takes beginners from the summit of Grandes Platières to 2,500 m to the village of Sixt, 1700 m lower. A real walk through mountain pastures and forests on one of the most beautiful slopes of the Alps, where it is not uncommon to meet chamois.
– For beginners, the Samoens 1600 area is ideal. Snow garden for children, easy trails with different ski lifts … in short the area of first gliding or why a warm-up area.
– For confirmed / expert, the Black Eagle track will delight the very good skiers who love the sensations of speed and steep slopes.
► The main events not to be missed in Samoëns
Every winter, the ski resort of Samoëns hosts or organizes many events of various scale and notoriety: sports competitions, cultural events, entertainment for the youngest … Among the dates to remember, for example:
– Christmas and New Year festivities (end of December)
– Vigneronne week, during which specially invited winemakers will introduce you to the fruit of their passion (mid January)
– The Grande Odyssée Savoie Mont-Blanc (the biggest dog sled race in Europe) which usually takes place in Samoëns mid January
– the Derby of the Grand Massif (end of March)