Morillon The Ski Resort
Morillon, ski resort in the Haut-Giffre valley, is a winter friendly and authentic destination very typical of Savoy traditions. As liked by the families for its various family-friendly activities as by the beginner skiers for its “relaxed” slopes, the ski resort of Morillon integrates harmoniously with a vast forest which gives it this instant Alpine cachet as well as neighbouring resorts La Clusaz, Le Grand-Bornand and Samoens.
Morillon boasts access to one of the biggest ski areas in the world: Le Grand Massif, 2 snow parks 143 pistes for 265kms of skiing.
Morillon – The ski resort
At the heart of a preserved and welcoming nature, we discover a small traditional village at 700 m above sea level, cradle of Antoine Deneriaz, Olympic downhill champion, and a ski resort at 1100 m altitude ( Les Esserts) connected to the village by a gondola and two blue runs.
Morillon is easily accessible by plane via Geneva International Airport, just 60 km away (coach transfers), by train (Cluses station 14 km from where shuttles serve the station) or by car via the very close A40 white highway.
The few tracks in the Morillon sector are suitable for beginners as well as intermediate skiers. Integrated in the ski area of Grand Massif, the global ski offer delights skiers of all levels and meets all expectations. Indeed, the connected domain of the Grand Massif, connecting Morillon to Samoëns, Les Carroz, Flaine and Sixt-Fer-A-Cheval, is strong of 143 tracks of all levels for 265 km of sliding (175 km regulated) with the Mont White as a permanent backdrop: beautiful skiing for everyone!
Morillon ski area
► The alpine ski area
The ski area of Morillon, through its access to the Grand Massif via the pivot sector of the Tête de Saix (2118 m), offers 143 tracks (13 black, 48 red, 60 blue and 22 green) for a total of 265 km of slips (175 km regulated) distributed 80% in northern exposure (guaranteed a good quality of snow) through an immense area of nearly 40 000 hectares storied between 700 m (at the arrival of the two blue slopes Doïna and Labérieu at Morillon Village) and 2500 m above sea level at the top of the slopes, under the two peaks of the domain (Les Grandes Platières – 2480 m and Head of Lindars – 2561 m).
The 67 lifts serve 1,800 m of vertical drop with Mont Blanc as a permanent backdrop.
On the Morillon sector, there are 9 lifts (1 gondola, 5 chairlifts, 1 beginner ski lift and 1 carpet) giving access to 17 tracks (3 red, 9 blue, 3 green and 2 fun tracks). Note the efforts made to respect the environment by the Grand Massif ski area with the obtaining of the “Green Globe” certification (reduction of impacts and prevention of pollution both in the daily activities and in all developments of the domain ski).
The Morillon ski area is popular with beginners and intermediate skiers. Indeed, the resort offers an interesting choice to start on spatulas:
– The Morillon Les Esserts initiation area: Beginner green slope accessible via the Teledébutant ski lift and the Essertoux carpet (beginner ski pass also including the Esserts chairlift and 2 round trips with the Morillon gondola lift).
– The green Marvel trail: beautiful and long easy route in the heart of a century-old pine forest.
– The blue slopes since the arrival of the Sairon chairlift.
The ski adventure on the slopes of the Grand Massif reserves some nice surprises and opens up great opportunities for sports skiers.
First the Cascades track for intermediate skiers (and others …). Accessible from the Flaine sector, this “nature” route offers 14 km non-stop from the summit of Grandes Platières to the banks of the Giffres, in the heart of the Sixt-Fer-A-Cheval nature reserve. At the appointment: fabulous landscapes composed of snowy peaks, petrified waterfalls, frozen lakes and sometimes beautiful encounters (chamois, eagles, vultures and ibexes).
For sports skiers, even experienced, at least for those who like freeride: direction Combe de Gers. Accessible from Flaine, this grandiose and isolated area of the rest of the ski area offers, besides an interesting marked black run, a good number of freeride possibilities on 800 m of elevation gain.
► Snowparks and play areas of Morillon
The alpine ski area of Morillon offers 3 play areas for skiing while having fun. First “Ze Marvel Safari” on the green Marvel trail. This educational trail on the themes of mountain fauna and flora, also invites you to go on safari in search of the real size animals hidden along the track (gypaet, ptarmigan …).
We then find an easy level boardercross (equivalent to a blue runway) with whoops and banked turns, accessible since the arrival of the Esserts chairlift: “Ze Kidz Park”.
Finally “Ze Funky Park” located on the Red Ridge trail, is a fun freestyle area, composed of red level freestyle modules.
► Nordic skiing and Nordic activities in Morillon
Two complementary northern spaces are to be found close to the Morillon ski resort.
First of all, the Nordic area of the Haut-Giffre Valley from Morillon, which allows you to climb with a gentle slope (670 m to 900 m altitude), along the Giffre river , near villages, sometimes in the forest, sometimes in plain or around lakes, to the bottom of Cirque du Fer à Cheval. A total of 12 routes (42, 6 km) drawn in classic / skating are proposed (5 tracks, 5 blue runs and 2 routes of connection). Also available: 1 groomed toboggan run, a Nordic Park and 4 pedestrian / snowshoe routes (8.7 km).
A little higher in altitude to guarantee a snowpack of quality is the northern site of the Col de Joux Plane. We find, at 1700 m altitude (15 km from Morillon), facing Mont Blanc, 7 routes drawn in classic / skating (3 green runs, 2 blue runs and 2 red runs). Also available: 1 groomed toboggan run, a Nordic Park and 2 pedestrian / snowshoe routes (8 km).
– Take the blue waterfall trail: 14 km of non-stop routes from the summit of Grandes Platières to the banks of the Giffres, in the heart of the Sixt-Fer-A-Cheval nature reserve and offering fabulous wild landscapes.
– Skiing with the family on the educational trail “Ze Marvel Safari” located on the green Marvel trail: a fun ski-safari looking for real-life animals hidden along the trail (gypaet, ptarmigan …)
– Sporty skiers must jump into the Combe de Gers, a grandiose area isolated from the rest of the ski area offering a good number of freeride possibilities over 800 m of altitude difference.
► The main events not to miss in Morillon
Four major events complement the Morillon winter season:
– The Grande Odysée Savoie Mont-Blanc, which is part of the landscape of the most beautiful dog sled races in the world, takes place mid-January in Morillon (nearly 25 mushers and 300 dogs at the appointment in a 100% Far North atmosphere) .
– Les Hivernales du Haut-Giffre at the end of January: an annual event popular with the general public, offering the opportunity to try new activities free of charge (biathlon, sled dogs, Nordic skiing …). A day of discovery organized in the mythical setting of the circus of Fer-à-Cheval (classified in the network of Grands Sites de France).
– The Happy Banked Dupraz Slalom mid-March. The principle is simple: a snowboard, banked turns, a natural route, a chrono; A colorful weekend but especially high in Pro Riders!
– Yoopa, sled tobogganing event, early April: a day of initiation and challenge to discover new winter sports (paret, ancestral and traditional craft, updated to share moments of pleasure and enjoyment) laughs, or the yooner, his modernized little