Châtel The Ski resort
Located at the French-Swiss border of the Portes du Soleil ski area, close to Thonon-Les-Bains and Aigle train stations (Swiss railway station connecting Geneva Cointrin International Airport), Châtel ski resort stands out because of its family-friendly resort-village character. At 1200 m high, the chalets and the traditional habitat of Châtel contribute to the identity of the resort. This is the main asset when you buy a new ski property in Châtel, charming stay guaranteed!
When you buy a ski property in Chatel it is also access to 1 snow park, 46 pistes, 84kms of pistes and of course direct access to one of the biggest ski areas in the world: Les portes du Soleil.
Chatel – The ski resort
The numerous infrastructures of reception and leisure intended for the children make Chatel an ideal holiday space for the families, the station is also labeled “Famille Plus Montagne”.
Châtel offers ski lovers 45 ski slopes (totaling 83 km) served by 43 lifts. But the Châtel ski pass also makes it possible to ski on part of the La Chapelle d’Abondance ski area, the Swiss resort of Morgins and the entire Swiss resort of Torgon. In total, there are 130 kilometers of slopes available to you! In addition, the ski version XXL is also possible thanks to the link to the connected area of the Portes du Soleil and its 650 km of tracks served by 196 ski lifts, via the neighboring resorts of Avoriaz, Torgon and Morgins.
The snow offer is complemented by 7 marked trails for snowshoeing and a common Nordic area at Val d’Abondance (40 km of marked trails).
Station-village with traditional architectural features, skiable area on a human scale with possible extension to a large area connected, friendliness and quality hospitality for families: these are the main assets of Châtel!
Chatel ski area
► The alpine ski area
The Châtel ski area is spread over 2 sectors: the Super-Châtel / Barbossine area and the Linga / Pré La Joux area, as well as a private facility in the village (Linga district).
– The sector of Super-Châtel allows to join the neighboring stations of Morgins and Torgon, it is generally more appreciated of the beginners skiers and the practitioners of the Snowpark.
– The sector of Linga – Pré La Joux allows, for its part, to reach the station of Avoriaz, and is considered more difficult.
New winter 2015/2016: 2 detachable chairlifts (a 4-seater and a 6-seater) ensure the connection of the sector of Super-Châtel and Linga. They both leave Vonnes, near Morgins on the Swiss border, and make it possible to reduce the use of shuttles and private vehicles.
Châtel therefore has 45 trails (including 6 black, 15 red, 15 blue and 9 green) for a total length of 83 km between 1100 and 2200 m altitude, a maximum altitude of 1000 m. But the Châtel package allows you to expand your playing field by giving access to the Swiss resort of Torgon, the Raven area of the Swiss resort of Morgins and the sector of Braitaz Chapel of Abondance. All in all, there are 130 km of slopes available to skiers wishing to stay in the Val d’Abondance sector.
Note also that since Châtel, direct links with Avoriaz and the Swiss resorts of Torgon and Morgins give access to the large area of the Portes du Soleil and its 650 km of pistes served by 196 lifts.
A free ski shuttle service from the center of the village serves all sectors (Super-Châtel / Barbossine and Linga / Pré La Joux). These buses run from 8.30 am until the ski area is closed in continuous rotation.
► How to reach nearby ski resorts?
– Torgon: From Super-Châtel, you can go directly to the Swiss resort of Torgon by the ski lift of the Tower of Don.
– Morgins: From Super-Châtel, the connection with the Morgins ski resort takes place via the Chalet Neuf ski lift.
– The Chapel of Abundance: From the area of Barbossine, we switch to the Swiss resort of Torgon by the red trail of the Col de Croix. Then you have to take the Djeu des Têtes ski lift then the Conches 2000 ski lift. Several routes are available up to the Panthiaz gondola, which gives access to the Chapelle d’Abondance. Finally, a shuttle bus connects to the area of Crêt Béni.
– Avoriaz: The station of Avoriaz is directly accessible by the tracks.
From the Pré-la-Joux sector, take the Pierre-Longue chairlift and the Rochassons chairlift. Arrived at the summit of the ridge, the red trail of Chaux-Fleuri or the blue slope of Grand Plan, allow to switch on the Avoriaz ski area.
► Snowparks and play areas of Chatel
The “Smoothpark”, the snowpark located in the sector of Super Châtel / Barbossine, offers all the equipment that freestylers expect: modules all levels (kickers, boxes, rails, quarter pipe, boardercross …), a corner “Chill With a sound system, a picnic table, a self-service barbeque … A video capture system, the “Live Park”, enhances the area to immortalize its runs and share them on the networks.
The recreational track delimited / secure and located near the blue slope of Bellevue in the area of Super-Châtel / Chalet Neuf allows, accompanied or not by professionals of the teaching of skiing, to measure its speed thanks to a chrono cell and a bright display, but also and most importantly, learn to control its braking distance.
The DVA Parc, located in the area of Super-Châtel near the La Chanterelle track, offers workshops led by rescue patrolmen, with the aim of training in a fun way and through demonstrations, the handling of the DVA (Avalanche Victim Detector) or give the opportunity to test his own equipment. This space is self-service. To benefit from information or a demonstration, simply contact the trackers on site.
The Purple Milka Trail, located on the Super-Châtel ski area, is a fun track dedicated to children, on the theme of mountain wildlife and decorated with figurines and explanatory panels. During the school holidays, Milka organizers organize games and a distribution of chocolates.
► Cross-country skiing in Chatel
You will find on the northern area of the Val d’Abondance: 7 cross-country ski trails, 8 Nordic routes (cross-country skiing, walking, snowshoeing), an introductory course, a fun activity area and a step Biathlon shooting.
Moreover, in Châtel, 4 facilities of the ski area are accessible to pedestrians or snowshoe enthusiasts, and allow you to easily access several marked trails.
Après-ski in Chatel
► Off-ski activities in Châtel
For non-skiers or to vary their day off the slopes, a multitude of activities are offered in Chatel.
As for sports activities, the must remains the No.1 course of the Fantasticable open to skiers lovers thrills! On the arrival of the Rochassons chairlift, the adventure opens the doors to a flyover, at a height of 140 meters, from the village of Plaine-Dranse. The 1,200 meters of cable of this giant zip line can reach a speed of around 100 km / h.
For those looking for more “classic” activities, Châtel offers a very interesting palette: 7 snowshoe trails, fishing under the ice of a lake, the original snow sliding machines (Snake Gliss, Airboard and Yooner), a bowling, an outdoor ice rink, tobogganing areas, a cinema, visits to the farm, the “La Vieille Douane” mountain contraband interpretation center …
► O shape, the aquatic center of Châtel
The Forme d’O entertainment and relaxation panel is there to satisfy the greatest number. The equipment offers access to 3 different areas:
– an indoor and outdoor aquatic area with goosenecks, massaging nozzles, bubbling benches, an Aquasplash, a mineral and vegetable beach, water fungi and swimming against the current.
– An ocean and fitness area with a well-being pool offering water cascades and bubbling benches, 2 traditional hammams, 3 saunas (2 Finns and 1 bio), a relaxation room and a cardio training room with treadmill , elliptical, rowers, bikes …
– an ocean spa with 4 treatment cabins equipped with showers.
► Bars / pubs and restaurants of Chatel
The resort of Chatel offers some 60 restaurants (including hotels-restaurants) offering the possibility to choose between a traditional, mountain, semi-gastronomic cuisine … Numerous high-altitude restaurants are also at the disposal of skiers and pedestrians at the four corners of the ski area. The particularity of the high-altitude restaurants of Plaine-Dranse, lies in the fact that one finds oneself in a small Alpine village which, in the winter, brings together a good dozen typical restaurants: these mountain chalets have remained ” in their own juice. All these establishments, whatever they are, serve typical dishes like the Berthoud cheese Abondance, or regional prepared on the spot (accessible by the chairlift 4 places detachable Pierre-Longue, located in Pré-la-Joux).
The Nazca bar, the Avalanche, The Reserve, The Cauldron Bar Bowling, Bar l’Isba, The Chevy Bar and the bar La Godille, are all bars-pubs that provide the perfect setting for a drink with friends or even an evening musical, a concert, a game of bowling …
And to prolong the night, the Sloopy’s nightclub welcomes night owls with 2 atmospheres: 80’s and general music.
Our recommendations for your stay in Chatel
► The must-haves of Châtel
– The Tyrolienne “Le Fantasticable”, activity reserved for thrill seekers, is a must in Châtel: do not miss it!
– Night skiing for those who want to extend their day of gliding under the stars. Appointment on Thursday evening from 19:30 to 21:30 on the illuminated track and sound stage Linga. An original activity and free of charge.
– The high altitude restaurants of Plaine-Dranse (small alpine village), one of the must-see places in Châtel and the Portes du Soleil!
– The red run of La Perdrix Blanche in the area of Pré-la-Joux is worth the detour for experienced skiers because it has beautiful bottlenecks and uncrowded clearances.
-The “fun plan” application that offers an interactive map to trace the perfect route for a tour of the ski slopes of Châtel, to discover the most beautiful panoramas of the ski area. On the program: a breathtaking view of the Dents du Midi, White Doves and Mont Blanc in the background, not to mention Lake Geneva and the peaks of the Abondance Valley.
– Form O, the aquatic center of Châtel, is not to be missed under any circumstances. The range of entertainment and relaxation is there to satisfy the greatest number: indoor and outdoor pools, spa pool, saunas, steam rooms, beauty treatments and gym.