Alpe d’Huez – The ski resort
– maximum sunshine and remarkable panorama
– diversity and quality of its ski area
– its many activities, trendy parties and must-see events like Tomorrowland
– its sports and congress hall, equipment worthy of its dynamism
Its high altitude ski domain (Grand Domaine Ski), the Sarenne glacier, is the starting point for mythical descent with the longest track in the world, the Sarenne piste with its 16 km or the Tunnel, unusual route crossing the mountain to lead to one the steepest walls of French skiing …
Rich in many sports activities (snow/ice, air …), cultural and relaxation, the Alpe d’Huez is also the scene of big international events throughout the winter!
Alpe d’Huez ski area
► The alpine ski area
Formerly known as the Massif des Grandes Rousses and now called “Alpe d’Huez ski area or Grand Domaine Ski” the ski area of Alpe d’Huez is made up of 7 ski resorts/villages with distinct specificities: preserved, functional, family, sports. .. they have come together to meet all desires and profiles.
Alpe d’Huez Grand Domaine Ski stretches over 10,000 hectares facing south-west, with 4 sectors: Oz-Vaujany, Alpe d’Huez, Auris-La Garde and Villard-Reculas.
Located between 1100 and 3330 meters above sea level, the ski area consists of 133 tracks (43 green, 34 blue, 40 red and 16 black) served by 81 lifts that will take you quickly to the highest point – the Pic Blanc at 3330 meters altitude – where a breathtaking panorama awaits you.
The topography of the domain meets the expectations of all types of skiers:
– Beginners will evolve on the gentle slopes of the bottom of the domain, conducive to learning to slide (green slopes and beginner areas)
– More experienced skiers will appreciate the black runs accessible from the Pic Blanc cable car and the Marmottes III cable car.
It should also be noted that Alpe d’Huez has a night toboggan run, a permanent toboggan area and 4-night ski slopes.
► Snowparks and play areas of Alpe d’Huez
As for news gliding, the Alpe d’Huez offers 2 equipped snowparks (1 beginner and 1 expert) with numerous modules as well as a giant airbag and a ski cross track. Freeride enthusiasts will evolve (when the conditions of safety allow it) on the 20 or so off-piste high mountain routes (corridors, virgin sites, …)
► The nordic ski area of Alpe d’Huez
With 50 km of slopes, Alpe d’Huez is a beautiful Nordic ski resort with 6 courses varying between 4 and 20 km. Between balconies and lookouts, vast expanses and frozen lakes, Nordic skiing seduce holidaymakers in search of new sensations, closer to nature.
Après-ski in Alpe d’Huez
► Off-ski activities in Alpe d’Huez
For non-skiers, Alpe d’Huez also offers activities such as paragliding, snowmobile or snowcat rides, an ice cave accessible by the DMC des Grandes Rousses, guided tours and pedestrian walks ( 35km of marked trails), an ice rink, two swimming pools, ice-driving courses, Ski Joëring or even the complete set for relaxation and well-being (massages, sauna, hot tub …).
► The Sports and Congress Center of Alpe d’Huez
Imagine a place entirely devoted to sports, relaxation and leisure activities. Located in the heart of the resort and open every day from 10h to 20h25, this is exactly what offers the Palace of Sports and Congress Alpe d’Huez with no less than 30 activities grouped together in the same building (fitness, bodybuilding, water aerobics, indoor and outdoor pools, climbing wall, archery, basketball, badminton, squash, tennis …).
On the cultural side, the palace also houses a cinema as well as the Musée d’Huez and Oisans.
► Bars/pubs and restaurants of Alpe d’Huez
In addition to the fifteen mountain restaurants scattered throughout the ski area, the Alpe d’Huez also has no less than 40 restaurants scattered in the heart of the resort and a dozen fast-food restaurants (sandwich shops, hot spots and other embroideries). Traditional cuisine, mountain specialities, regional menu, brasérade, homemade soups, pancakes, pizza … it’s up to you!
For a drink with friends, you can choose between twenty bars/pubs. Depending on your desires, you opt for a beer bar, a wine bar unless you are tempted by cocktails, shooters …
Note that some establishments offer wifi connections, games/billiards, large screens (sports broadcasts) as well as theme nights (live music …)
Partygoers give themselves when they go to Sporting or Caves de l’Alpe, the two discotheques of Alpe d’Huez open from midnight to 5 am…
Our recommendations for your stay in Alpe d’Huez
► The essentials of Alpe d’Huez
– Sarenne, the longest run in the world with its 16 km descent
– 4 mythical itineraries of about 2000 m of unevenness each to descend in one go, without taking up a ski lift (since Le Pic Blanc at 3330 m to La Villette, Oz, Enversin of Oz or the Gorges of Sarenne)
– “Apéros et fondues by night”: the meeting place for gourmets from 5 pm on the terrace of the Signal 2108 restaurant! On the program: an aperitif, 2 hours of skiing on the lit track of the Signal, a fondue, followed by a torchlight descent … (every Tuesday / Thursday school holidays and every Thursday throughout the season).
– Sarenne in the moonlight On the Sarenne piste, night skiing is also possible! The last bucket, allowing the climb to the top of the Pic Blanc, leads skiers into a shelter. After a friendly dinner, until the moonlight reaches its peak to illuminate the runway, an hour of descent is planned in the company of ski patrol-rescuers and ski instructors graduates.
– The Ice Cave, an ephemeral museum dug under the snow at 2700 meters above sea level, is accessible to all by the Grandes Rousses gondola lift.